Prep 15 min; Cooking 80 min
Everyone loves a hearty beef barley soup, especially in the colder months. I found that roasting the vegetables gives an incredible flavour. The soup takes some time to prepare, but you can double the batch and freeze the remains for later. Makes 6 Servings
3/4 cup diced potato
3/4 cup diced sweet potato
3/4 cup diced parsnip
8 oz stewing beef, cut into small cubes
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups diced onions
2 tsp crushed garlic
2 cups sliced button mushrooms
4 cups low-sodium beef stock
1/4 cup barley
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Pinch of salt and pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the root vegetables on a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with vegetable oil. Spray the vegetables with oil.
- Roast for 20 minutes, just until tender. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, dust the beef with flour. In a large skillet sprayed with vegeta- ble oil, sear the beef just until browned on all sides (about 3 minutes). Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add the oil and sauté the onions with the garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutesor until no longer wet. Add the beef and stock and cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the beef is almost tender. Add the barley and root veg- etables and cover and simmer for 20 minutes or just until the barley is cooked. Add the Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper.
- Ladle into individual bowls and garnish with parsley.
￼Nutritional Information Per Serving
Total fat 9.1g
Saturated fat 3.8g
» Food & Drink » Beef Barley Soup with Roasted Root...