Prep 15 min; Cooking 16 min
Summer is finally here and so is the long-awaited barbeque season. If you want to make a delicious and healthy burger, you have to try my take on this outstanding favourite with West Coast-inspired flavours.
Ground chicken has fewer calories, fat and cholesterol than beef; it also has a lighter flavour and texture, making it perfect for the lazy days of summer. The pesto and monterey jack cheese add a subtle tangy taste. When barbecuing, always be careful not to char the meat.
Nutritional Information Per Serving￼￼
Total fat 20.8g
Saturated fat 7.6g
- 1 lb ground white and dark ground chicken or turkey
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 2 tsp crushed garlic
- 3 Tbsp minced green onions
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
- 4 thin slices monterey jack or aged cheddar cheese (about 1 oz)
- 1/4 cup diced avocado
- 4 slices ripe tomatoes
- 8 basil leaves (optional)
- Combine the chicken, egg, bread- crumbs, pesto, garlic, green onions, and salt and pepper. Form into 4 burgers. Either grill or bake at 425°F until no longer pink, about 8 minutes per side. Add the cheese and cook just until melted.
- Garnish with avocado, tomatoes and basil leaves.
Makes 4 servings
» Food & Drink » California Grilled Chicken Pesto Burgers