Food is always reflective of the seasons. In the spring we move away from the heavier comfort meals that sustained us during the winter and lean towards lighter fare that will help reduce those extra pounds we may have gained during our “hibernation”.
I love a grilled piece of moist salmon with a fresh fruit and bean salsa. The combination of sweet mango, black beans and seared corn is outstanding. Salmon contains high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids which reduces the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. You can cook your salmon medium for the best flavour. Be sure not to overcook or it will be dry.
Makes 4 Servings
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup diced mango
- ½ cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup diced red bell peppers
- ¼ cup diced sweet onions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 tsp liquid honey
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1½ skin-on salmon fillets (about 6oz each)
- To make the salsa: In a nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, cook the corn on medium-high heat for 8 minutes or just until the corn is dry and beginning to brown. Place it in a serving dish. Stir in the remaining salsa ingredients.
- Either on a barbecue or in a nonstick grill pan sprayed with cooking spray, grill the salmon on medium-high heat for 5 minutes per side or just until medium done (10 minutes per inch/2.5 cm of fish thickness). Serve the salsa overtop of the fish.
Nutritional Information per Serving
Carbohydrates 15.6 g
Fibre 11.3 g
Protein 36.2 g
Total fat 11.3 g
Saturated fat 1.8 g
Cholesterol 93 mg
Sodium 267 mg
The salsa can be made early in the day. Cook the fish just before serving.
» Food & Drink » Salmon with Mango, Black Bean &...